Around this time of year, we find ourselves inundated with questions about how to help soothe the symptoms of a pesky cold. Rather than answer over and over, it only makes sense for us to consolidate all our best advice in one place.
- cool mist (for safety reasons, cool mist should always be used - warm mist presents a burn danger to children) humidifier with camphor or eucalyptus oil
- homemade Vick's on the chest, feet, and a smidge on your boob right where babe's nose will be (recipe to follow)
- lotioned or aloe tissues for nose wiping
- no dairy (thickens mucus)
- breastfeed on demand (as always, but it'll likely be more often during any illness)
- breastmilk in the nose
- Nose Frida (sounded too gross for me initially, but if I had to do it over again, I'd get one)
- coconut oil on a raw nose
- find a position for breastfeeding that allows babe to be more upright than horizontal to allow for easier breathing
Homemade "Vick's VapoRub"
- 10-15 drops eucalyptus oil
- 10-15 drops lavender oil
- 10-15 drops rosemary oil
- 1/4 C coconut oil
Mix ingredients thoroughly. Do the sniff test. If needed, add more eucalyptus. Slather liberally and cover with clothing to avoid getting in little eyeballs.
More than anything, your love, cuddles, and boobies will be most helpful in getting your babe through the creep and crud.