When I was in elementary school in Beaumont, California, I had a friend named Andrea who happened to be a resident of Childhelp's local residential facility. At the time, I only knew that Childhelp was a place where abused kids went to live. I didn't know specifically what happened to my friend. I didn't know specifically what her "home" was for. I just knew her - happy, always smiling, very open Andrea. I don't even know if I knew her last name. I don't now, that's for sure and wouldn't share it here if I did. I do know that I have always remembered Andrea and always, as a result, supported Childhelp.
Now, I'm asking you to support Childhelp, too.
There are myriad ways you can help.
- If you donate directly, 90% of every dollar goes directly to supporting the children.
- If you are in Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawai'i, New York, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, or Washington, D.C., you can volunteer at a chapter or auxiliary to plan events to raise awareness, media attention, and funds for the prevention and treatment of child abuse and neglect.
- If you are a child or young adult, you can be part of the Childhelp Wings program to advocate for yourself and all others enduring abuse of all kinds including, but not limited to, physical, sexual, and emotional abuse, as well as the abuse that youth face today in the form of bullying and dating violence.
- Athletes For Childhelp (AFC) helps athletes of all types (runners, bowlers, team sport players, triathletes, etc.) raise funds to support the programs of Childhelp.
- AND MORE!
Today, I'm asking you to do what is likely the easiest, least involved way of helping this worthy non-profit so close to my heart.
By taking seconds out of your day, you can download "The Button" to ensure that a portion of every purchase you make from thousands of websites will go directly to Childhelp. I've already done it. It took no time at all and required minimal effort or technical know-how. You can do it. It is my opinion that you should do it. It's the very least we can do.
Links are embedded throughout this post. Click on any of them. They have nothing to hide. In case you missed any of them, click HERE to visit their website and HERE to connect with them on Facebook.
Still need convincing? Check out these statistics:
- Every year more than 3 million reports of child abuse are made in the United States involving more than 6 million children (a report can include multiple children).
- The United States has one of the worst records among industrialized nations – losing on average between four and seven children every day to child abuse and neglect.
- A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds.
- It is estimated that between 50-60% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates.
- Approximately 70% of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4.
- More than 90% of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way.
- About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children.
- 14% of all men in prison and 36% of women in prison in the USA were abused as children, about twice the frequency seen in the general population.
- Children who experience child abuse & neglect are about 9 times more likely to become involved in criminal activity.
Know someone who is being abused or are being abused yourself? Call the National Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-4-A-CHILD and get in touch with a crisis counselor 24/7.
Please, for me, for Andrea, for the five precious babes who die every day, show your support to Childhelp today.