Pinterest's new "Picked for You" pins that constantly show up in my feed are driving me buggy. They're hit or miss, but the hits don't make up for the misses by a long shot. Here's the latest that was picked just for me, because Pinterest knows me soooooo well, clearly:
Pinterest, have we met? What about my feed suggests any of this dangerous drivel screams Amy or Zen Parenting? Here, let me help you and, while I'm at it, I'll help the creator of this crap, because s/he has some serious 'splaining to do.
1. Activities. What activities do you like? Why? This is what I like and here's why. Every one of them will teach you something important.
2. If and when you choose to engage in sexual relationships, be respectful of yourself and others. Constantly ensure that you're both consenting of what is happening, that you are both enjoying it, that you're both safe, happy, and healthy.
3. Pee happens. Don't do get it everywhere on purpose, but when accidents occur, we'll fix them up.
4. Save some money, spend some money, invest some money, give some money.
5. Want to help me with what I'm doing around the house, outside, with the car, etc.? Cool. That's how we learn.
6. Beliefs. You get to have yours and I get to have mine. Let's talk about why we believe what we believe about religion and spirituality. Let's talk about those things with each other and with others, so we can learn a lot.
7. Bullying stinks. Don't be one. Don't let others be them. Don't sit by idly while anyone is picked on by one.
8. Education comes from all around you. Soak it all in.
9. Treat people kindly.
10. Forget social norms and the appearance police. Like plaid with tie-dye? Wear it with confidence.
11. The world can be hard, but you don't have to be.
12. Mutual respect is one of the keys to good relationships.
13. As a child, the world tries to make you feel like you are lesser than. This is not true.
14. Penis, vagina, scrotum, vulva, etc. are not bad words, but anyone touching them without your consent is bad.
15. Peer pressure stinks. Be you. You're rad.
16. Be thoughtful in relationships.
17. Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. When someone safety is at risk, be right.
18. A sense of humor goes a long way, but it's OK to feel whatever you feel whenever and for however long you feel it.
19. If and when you choose a life partner (or life partners), choose wisely and choose for yourself.
20. I love you. When you're not with me, I miss you. We won't always be side by side at all times, but you're always in my heart. We have good lives together and separately. Good for us.
Much better. Pinterest, take note.